Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

8 week old puppy trying to be sick been active all day but

Customer Question

8 week old puppy trying to be sick been active all day but just sleepy and not him self only had him a day he is on james wellbeloved food and as had a bit of scrambled egg am and it seams to be egg he is trying to bring up his nose feels warm
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I just responded in your other question and was unable to close this question so will repost my response here:First congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together!I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting. Please remove water and no further meals until the nausea resolves. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is he needs to drink to maintain hydration but if he is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake. If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control and with his size being so tiny he can decline very rapidly 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode. Wait a few hours after the last vomiting episode and apply a small (fingertip only) amount of karo syrup along his gumline to ensure his blood sugar level is not too low which can be a problem with these tiny breeds. Not enough to swallow, it will be absorbed through his gums. Repeat in four hours2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Monty comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I hope Monty is feeling better soonIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!