Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog is bleeding from his private parts, its usually in the

Customer Question

my dog is bleeding from his private parts, its usually in the morning
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Bruno's situation. Is he neutered? Is he urinating more frequently or straining to urinate? Is he otherwise acting normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he goes to the toilet ok, and I don't know if he is neutered he was left with us 6 years ago, he seems happy and normal
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering those questions. That is good that Bruno otherwise seems happy and normal. It is also good that he's going to the bathroom ok. When a male dog is bleeding from his prepuce area, the concerns that I have are as follows: 1) Could this be a prostate issue? Intact male dogs are more at risk for prostate infections. Infections in the prostate can cause intermittent discharge of blood from the penis. 2) Stones in the bladder? Sometimes bladder stones can cause blood in the urine. 3) Bladder infection. 4) Trauma or lesion / growth on the penis / sheath can cause bleeding like this. 4) Tumor in the bladder. These are all considerations that I have with what you're seeing. The thing that is needed here is to get him to your vet to have them evaluate him. They can do a physical exam and some testing on his urine and possibly an x-ray or ultrasound of his bladder to more specifically determine what is going on. Depending on what is found, that will dictate treatment options.