Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an eight month old female chihuahua, she weighs 2.1

I have an eight month old female chihuahua, she weighs 2.1 kilos and is having her first season. Right now I feel like the worst dog owner ever as in the last two days she got got and tied twice with another chihuahua and then by a shih tzu who is over double her size. I would like her to have pups at some point but feel quite stupid that I didn't educate myself sooner to looking after a female dog. I read that the mismate jab is possible but not great, is a planned c section an option with a spay at the same time? Emergency spay and take away any pregnancy? I want my girl to be safe but am struggling with the idea of killing the pups too, your advice on my options please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. Friend, we do have injections that can terminate the pregnancy but they can carry serious side effects. I would personally prefer to wait. I know you are concern because of the difference in size. But, very often the dog is able to deliver the pups without any problems. I would recommend you discuss with your vet about having her checked after 4 weeks with an ultrasound. Expect for her to deliver +/-63 days after having mated. If she needs to have a C-section then you can request from the vet to have her spayed at the same time. For now, just wait; it is very likely she is going to be fine. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's good news thank you, ***** ***** too young for pups at eight months?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
We normally recommend to wait after the first heat to breed. But, more often than not they are able to carry the pups to term without any problems when pregnant on their first heat. Please reply if you have additional questions. Dr. Peter