Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

11 year old Airdale terrier has the in 3 of last four nights

Customer Question

11 year old Airdale terrier has the in 3 of last four nights left a bowel function on the kitchen floor.He is fed at about 6.oopm with 150 grams of Royal Canin 8yr+and I take him for a short walk at about 10.30 pm.He is currently on a programme of ibruprofin following a severe leg strain last summer,noe reduced to 1 tablet every 2days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I would attribute the ibuprofen causing irritation in Dougal's GI tract. Ibuprofen is toxic to dogs and should be avoided in that species. We prescribe carprofen - another drug in the class of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) containing ibuprofen - to dogs as well as meloxicam and dericoxib - other NSAIDS designed for dogs. All of the NSAIDS have the potential to cause GI distress, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.