nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is Liquorice toxic to dogs

Is Liquorice toxic to dogs
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now we do need to be careful with sweets containing liquorice extract. In large volumes, it can cause electrolyte imbalances, muscle weakness, and abnormal heart rhythms. That said, one sweet isn't likely to cause Jess any harm (provided its not a xylitol containing sugar-free sweet) and therefore we'd only need to monitor her and perhaps give her a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken or white fish) should this give her any stomach upset.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )