Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My retriever dog has been on troxicil years .

Customer Question

my retriever dog has been on troxicil for 2 years for arthritis. He has now been diagnosed as bleeding in stomach rom ulcers as a result and has been prescribed with ranitldine 150mg. This was yesterday. He has now been sick on two occasions and we cannot contact the vet because it is weekend. What should we do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Dexter. While the remarkably long duration of action of trocoxil (mavacoxib) is quite a convenience for owners if adverse effects arise treatment of patients also must be quite protracted. If you don't have a vet available to you today you're necessarily constrained to fasting Dexter for at least 24 hours but leaving his water down unless drinking induces more vomiting at which time ice cubes for him to lick should be substituted for his water. I prefer a stronger and longer lasting antacid than ranitidine for my patients. You have PepcidTwo available in the UK which contains famotidine and which can be dosed to Dexter at 0.5 mg/kg of the famotidine portion of that product twice daily.If vomiting persists and particularly if hematemesis (blood in the vomitus) arises, you'll have little choice but to have an on-call vet attend to Dexter. Injectable antiemetic drugs can be given and an oral "liquid bandage" such as sucralfate prescribed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dexters vomiy ws a strong yellow with traces of a darker colour in it. would this be blood however the drker colour was not in all of the yellow liquid
Fresh blood will be red. Digested blood is more brownish. If bile is vomited due to reverse parastalsis involving the small intestine, you might see a yellow-green color.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your assistance
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.