nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have an 8 year old female ***** ***** cross, she hasn't

I have an 8 year old female ***** ***** cross, she hasn't eaten or had water since 7a.m yesterday morning, nor has she wanted to go outside for the toilet. She appears to be very uncomfortable is shaking a lot or more like quivering, very lethargic, she won't even take any treats. She dose not appear to be in pain, please can you help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
Any changes to her breathing?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lick licking, pink gums, breathing o.k., slight tensing, she has not eaten anything untoward as we were only out for a very short time yesterday, I will add she hasn't eaten any food yet she has brightened up a bit but looks so miserable
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
First, I am glad to hear that she has brightened up a wee bit but that lip licking alongside her anorexia does raise suspicions of significant nausea lurking here. In regards ***** ***** causes for nausea and anorexia in the dog, we'd have to be wary of a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (less likely if you have had a close eye on her). As well, at her age, we'd also have to keep metabolic or organ based issues on our list of concerns too.
Now with this all in mind, since she hasn't been actively vomiting, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include: Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magensia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. And if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.
If she can keep that down and settles, we can then try her with a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.
Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).
Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the anorexia and nausea she is showing. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much, as it happens I do have some Zantac prescribed for her " re fireworks" I am going to try her with some scrambled egg which she likes and maybe try her with chicken and rice later on. We do have a vet but Pippa woke me up at 4.30a.m. and I could not get hold of my vet, which I will be sorting out as it was an emergency tel. number. Obviously I will be keeping an eye on her and if this persists any longer we will make an appointment to see him. Thank you once again. Sheila
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Sheila.Can you confirm it is Zantac (ranitidine) and not Xanax (which is more likely what a vet would give for fireworks)?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Sheila.Can you confirm it is Zantac (ranitidine) and not Xanax (which is more likely what a vet would give for fireworks)?If it is, do avoid giving it and just to note Zantac is OTC at most grocery stores and chemists, so you should have no worries getting that.Take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops! made a mistake there it is Xanax.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
No worries,
Just skip any Xanax (else we will sedate her) and again Zantac/Ranitidine is an antacid that is on every grocery store and chemist shelf. And she'd just need 2 milligrams per kilogram of her body weight every 12 hours.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again I'm off to fine a chemist that open.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
Take care,
Dr. B.