nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog hasn't been going to the toilet few days....

Customer Question

Our dog hasn't been going to the toilet for a few days.... when he did the poop was black, last night he vomited (white foam) then went to the toilet twice, once again black but the second time it was normal.
shall i take him to the vets?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
In regards ***** ***** question, we would want Bear seen by his vet today. Black stool in the absence of dirt eating (or highly pigmented foods) is a often a sign of stomach or upper GI bleeding. Furthermore, if he is vomiting as well, we'd be concerned that we may have a stomach ulcer or that his gut is being damaged by something non-edible or toxic that he ate.
So, while it is positive that one stool has been normal, those recent signs and the vomiting are just too much of a concern to let this linger. So, we'd want his vet to examine him, make sure there is no active bleeding or gut blockage. If those are ongoing, he will need those addressed. And if they are clear, then his vet can potentially start him on gastroprotectants and anti-nausea medication to soothe his nausea and heal his GI.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for getting back to me,
I would like to add more detail to the situation if it'll change anything..This all started when he got a long hair caught as he was trying to pass a stool which panicked him and took him a while to finish, this was about a week ago and since then he doesn't seem to want to go.Aside from that he's been his normal self and playful, last night he had a small piece of left over steak from a Restaurant, an hour after eating is when he threw up and then passed another black stool, his stomach was gurgling through out the night until he went to the toilet again and passed a normal stool.Today he has been resting all day but has not been to the toilet again.Thank you
Aaron
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Aaron.
We'd not really expect this to be related to a long hair causing difficult fecal passage. This is because damage to the gut at that point in the GI would cause fresh blood to be passed. The black discoloration is a result of the intestines starting to break blood down, so that tells us that we know the problem is in the stomach or upper portion of the GI.
So, unless there was more hair or other material causing damage higher, that hair you saw was likely a red herring. Though since we have had one recent normal stool, we would hope that the cause of damage has passed and would hopefully just need gastroprotectants to settle his stomach and get him through this.
Please take care,
Dr. B.