Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog just ate a vitamin d capsule, will he be ok?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is unlikely that 1 vitamin D capsule will cause problems with him. Vitamin D toxicity is usually a concern with a massive overdose (say he ingested 20 capsules) or long term administration of higher doses. One instance of a higher dosage shouldn't cause any problems, unless there were other underlying kidney issues. Even then, there may not be much cause for concern. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.