Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 7 year old male Chihuahua I've only had him since

I have a 7 year old male Chihuahua I've only had him since September 2015 and he hates me everytime I walk into the room he growls and shows his teeth I want to have him castrated but I've been told that it wouldn't help is this true?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're off to a rough start with Romeo. Under what circumstances did he come to you? The majority of aggression in dogs is actually based in fear, so the main motivator for working around something like this is to give him the ability to start being around you in quiet non-threatening situations. Food is the ultimate ice breaker for dogs, although some dogs will open up for certain toys or favorite activities as well. If there are any particular activities that you know set him off, I would avoid doing those with him. You want to make all of your interactions with him as positive as possible. Castrating him may help, although I certainly wouldn't expect it to be a panacea by any means - it sounds like you may need to involve a professional trainer and/or some anti-anxiety medication from the vet.Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Romeo came to us because his former owner died we are his 3rd family his first owner started to date a Muslim who of course don't like dogs because of there germs but he's been kept in the family the first owner is my cousin the second was my uncle
So castrating would be pointless
Castration does have health and behavioral benefits - for instance a castrated dog cannot get testicular cancer and has a lower rate of select other cancers like rectal tumors. Castration can also decrease their urine marking behaviors (leg lifting) and humping as well as decrease their likelihood of roaming (running off to find a girlfriend). It's uncommon for a dog to have true "dominance" aggression, especially in the situation you're describing. It's far more likely that he is fearful or anxious, as this would be the most common reason for any sort of aggression by far. So while castration definitely has its benefits, I don't think it would help with fear aggression.~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The thing that's got me the most is when my uncle was alive Romeo and I were fine he licked my nose sit in my lap play fetch but now he's turned against me
It's very likely that the change in his life has upset his usual personality - changing homes can be very scary for a pet.~Dr. Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh okay well thank you for your time