Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 11 month old Labrador managed to puncture my salbutamol

Hi my 11 month old Labrador managed to puncture my salbutamol inhaler around 4pm today, by 6pm her breathing was laboured and her heart racing. I took her to the vets who administered a beta blocker and off home we went. My worry is she has slept all evening but I still feel like she is breathing faster and heavier than normal and her heart rate still seems to be higher than normal. Should I still be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Roxi and the inhaler. You can rest assured she's not the first dog to do this...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi I understand how everything works
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Glad you're there.(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
The rapid heart rate and breathing you're seeing is to be expected. I'm really relieved to hear that Roxi has been able to fall asleep. When a dog is dangerously overdose on the bronchodilator, they're so hyperactive they won't stop pacing and moving around.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
It can take as much as 12 hours before the effects of the bronchodilator wear off. Fortunately, your beta blocker is also likely to last as long. So, based on everything you're telling me, this doesn't sound like a dangerous situation.Is Roxi otherwise a healthy dog and on no other medications?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Roxi is a typically mischievous 11 month on Labrador who is normally so bouncy and energetic it tires you out watching her! She is a healthy lab and isn't on any medication other than the beta blocker this evening. i am concerned as she seems so lathergic and weak and wasn't sure if this is a normal side effect of everything she has been through this afternoon
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Understood. Lethargy and weakness... a dog who is unable to get up and do something she's normally excited about like go for a car ride... isn't expected. What *is* expected is a dog who's exceptionally sleepy because she really spent a lot of energy while she was wound up on the inhaler.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Roxi didn't seem wound up from the inhaler intact ever since she has had it she has been sleepy. When I came home from work it normal takes me a while to calm her down instead tonight she just looked at me and laid down ( this was before our trip to the vet) my partner told me that after he had released she had punctured the inhaler she seemed to drink a lot of water and then took herself to bed
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In fact not intact sorry*
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Understood. Are you able to measure her heart rate and check her gum color?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her gums seem to be a brownie red colour but I am struggling with her heart rate
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
If it's really, really slow, that may be the result of the beta blocker. It can be pretty low (like 40-60) but I wouldn't want it to be lower. Try to count for a whole minute.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh sorry with her heart rate I can feel it it doesn't feel slow to me in fact it feels quite fast i will give it another go
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Okay. If it's fast, then just count for fifteen seconds and take it times four.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It seems to be beating faster than I can found I got to 27 28 27 in 15 secs
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Count not found
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Understood. That's not alarming. Most dogs here at the clinic are wound up enough to be around 140 beats per minute. Are you able to get her up or is she too weak to stand?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She seems to be doing short sharp breaths through her nose as well. She does stand and then sits again she walked into the garden for a wee so she is moving around. Whilst we have been talking she has gone from floor to bed around 4 times so she is moving
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Pink gums and the ability to get up and walk are good signs. This is a tough situation. I'm not seeing any evidence of an emergency, but if you're worried, the best thing to do is have her checked out at the emergency clinic. I'm afraid there isn't really any home care I can recommend for her. I wish I had better news for you. At least I can offer you the reassurance that I wouldn't expect any of this to cause a severe problem.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you I will try and get some sleep and see how she is in the morning. I read about low potassium levels and it concerned me but she has been checked over early evening so fingers crossed she is just sleeping off the drugs
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
That's certainly what I would expect. Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No this is all. thank you Dr Jo.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.
Happy to help. Thank you for using our website.