Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I was wondering if you could answer a question

Hello, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me please. My Beagle Buster (11yrs 11Months) was diagnosed with stage2-3 Kidney failure at the end of November. He suffers with Fatigue, depression, an increased thirst (drinking over his 1.2l/day for his size) he still has a fairly good appetiate - hated the reanal diet, but eats a mixture of wet/mixer in 2 small meals a day. Though he still eats well he has steadily lost weight loosing 9kg since the summer and 3kg of them has been since december. His muscle mass is depleated also. He is on 50mg TDS tramadol for comfort and his arthritis (he had x2 ruptured cruciates)
Poor Buster is Incontinant of urine at night and does dribble throughout the day. There is no smell of amonia but it does smell foisty at times.
Today Buster started shaking - not a fit , he was conscious - like he was cold, he felt cool to touch and his paws feel cool to and nose dryer than normal. He was in the living room with family on a nice carpet at the time. Is this part of the disease? at what stage would this present if it is part of the disease? Should i see my vet?
Thankyou for your help,
Kind Regards
Claire
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear that Buster was diagnosed with kidney disease and is having difficulties todayThe trembling is common with simple malaise. It can be associated with the kidney disease, the pain of the arthritis related to his stifles. I do think a recheck evaluation with your veterinarian tomorrow is warranted to determine what is causing the trembling and how best to control this newest side effect.Here is a pain assessment form that helps aid in determining his level of discomfort and whether he needs to be seen sooner for this new symptom:http://csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdfI would discuss alternative kidney diets for Buster if he is not in favor of his current diet. There are about four different companies that create these diets and often if they do not like one they might like another... you can also talk to your vet about a homemade renal diet for him that might entice his appetite more therefore hopefully maintain his weight...I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your reply Dr. Altman.Your message did make sense to me. The shakes are intermittent at present. But I will ring for a check up tomorrow. I have read so many things about this disease and I know there is no miracle cure, I have never been through this before, so am worried I will misinterpret something, that could add to his woes. Do all dogs suffer similar symptoms in the final stages? I don't even know where we are in the stages? Sorry I sound terrible! I just want to him to be comfortable. I hate to think that I am not helping him.Thank you for the pain assessment tool I will print it off.Thank you again Claire
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I do understand, it is a very difficult position to be in as an owner to know whether your pet is suffering and anything you can do to get them comfortable. Just know that everything you do is out of a place of love and your Buster does know thatMonitoring the disease process is key to know whether things are advancing. This can include looking at kidney values but also protein in the urine, electrolytes which can be off balance in this disease process, and hydrations status. I do recommend rechecking monthly with the changes you are seeing since diagnosis in hopes of catching these changes as soon as possible and begin appropriate therapy. For example, if there is an increase in phosphorus begin a phosphate binder to prevent this from causing gi upset. If there is increased protein in the urine, beginning medications to slow down the protein loss which in and of itself damages the kidneys. It is a challenging road but knowing you are doing this from love is key in understanding you are truly doing what you know is best in the guidance of your vet. If there is anything I can aid in during this process as well please don't hesitate to ask... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both todayIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for yout time Dr Altman, I will arrange a follow up tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, best wishes to you both
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou