nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 3 and a half year old king Charles spaniel. Yesterday

I have a 3 and a half year old king Charles spaniel. Yesterday morning he was fine, normal stools when he was out for a walk. Then we left him at home for a couple of hours and when we came back he'd defacated on the kitchen floor which he's never done since we've had him since end of December. The stool was not runny but there was a lot of mucus too. I took him straight out and he proceeded to have diarrhoea and there was flecks of blood in it. All he had to eat at that point was a couple of dog biscuits and a chew stick. I didn't give him his meal yesterday and he wasn't interested in water either. I've been out this morning with him and his stool was not as runny but still had flecks of blood in. He doesn't seem to be his usual self but was still excited to go for a walk. I have been trying to ring the vets since 9am but can't get through but will keep trying. If you could give me any advice I would be grateful. Lisa.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Lisa I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr b, I've checked his gums and they look quite pink and are not sticky or anything. I've got him to lie down and I've pressed on his tummy all round and he has let me without showing any sign of being in pain or tending up. I don't think he's eaten anything he shouldn't but we do allow him off the lead when he is out so there could be possibility he's picked something up when we haven't been looking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He does tend to chew on a fair bit of grass when he is out.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,First, I am glad to see that those gums are lovely pink and that tummy isn't tender since those can be red flag signs of an urgent issue. Now hopefully he hasn't picked up anything he should not have; but we do need to tread with care if he may have.Though that aside, the signs you are describing sound most suspicious of an inflammatory or bacterial colitis. As well, we can see fresh blood in loose stool when dogs have contracted whipworms, coccidia, giardia, and with some specific bacteria and viruses (ie salmonella, campylobacter, etc). That said, those last few tends to cause them to feel quite poorly and pass more then flecks of blood.In this case, if you cannot get ahold of his vet, then we can start some supportive care. Feeding-wise, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and help with the stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.Otherwise, we can try to soothe that colon and slow that loose stool using a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (a good idea in this situation). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.Finally, since colitis can actually cause secondary nausea, we do sometimes need to soothe the stomach as well (and I would note that grass eating can be a nausea sign). If you find that he refuses a light diet, you can give him a small dose of an OTC antacid like Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 8 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this colitis type signs we are seeing. As long as he has had no access to toxins or harmful items; we can use the above at this stage. If he doesn’t settle in a few hours, then we can consider getting his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics +/- anti-protozoals to settle this, and get him back feeling like himself.All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate and and will give him a go with some scrambled egg and see how he does with that and check his stools when he goes out later. What about drinking water too because he hasn't drank very much at all since yesterday? He is still weeing ok though. Lisa.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Lisa. :)As long as his gums remain moist and he hasn't any skin tenting or sunken eyes; then we know his hydration is good and can just plan to encourage him to drink. To do so, you can keep tempting with water or flavour it with a bit of low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk. But again if he isn't keen on the egg and not drinking, that does suggest nausea and we may just want to use an antacid to settle that for him too.All the best for Harvey,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that has put my mind at rest bit. I'll monitor him through the day and see how he gets on. Kind regards, Lisa.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,I am glad that I could give you some peace of mind and a plan of action for Harvey.Take care,Dr. B.