Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

12 year old border collie, not eating, drinking a lot and nibbling

12 year old border collie, not eating, drinking a lot and nibbling at legs near tail
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is she spayed? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual? 5- Is she on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. About 4 days
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
5. no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Has she been nibbling for the last 4 days as well? 2- Has she created any sores where she is nibbling? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes
2 No
3 Very quiet not her usual self
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, her lack of appetite is because she does not feel well as you may already know. The big question is: Why is she drinking more than usual? You see, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible medical causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes.As far as her nibbling on her back leg, I believe this could be a separate problem. Possible causes could be: Allergies, localized infections, stress, etc. to name a few causes. In this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause Meg will need a hands on examination by your family veterinarian. In addition, she will need to have some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Highly recommend having her checked as soon as you can, very important to rule out diseases like diabetes. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter