Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 3 year old Lhsa Apso was admitted to the vets overnight

Customer Question

My 3 year old Lhsa Apso was admitted to the vets overnight on Sunday after spending the day vomiting and shaking. He suffered what appeared to be a minor 'fit' where his back legs became stiff and he rolled over. It lasted a couple of minutes. He was discharged on Monday morning after blood tests and iv therapy overnight. Nothing major on the bloods although his glucose was a little high. Yesterday he was quiet - didn't eat much but no major vomiting. Today he was sick again twice in quick succession so I took him to the vet again. Vet was dismissive - she said his heart seemed fine, temperature normal, gums pink etc and gave him an anti emetic injection. She mentioned that his pupils were slow to react to light and muttered something about a 'neurological issue' but gave no further information except to say that he could be referred to a specialist if I wanted. Since coming home he ate virtually nothing, he's been sick again - white/yellow froth - and is now shaking again and his breathing seems noisy. I'm really concerned. Can you help shed some light on this please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is he shaking like if he was cold? 2- What is in the vomit? 3- Did your vet do any xrays or ultrasound? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- Is he currently on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the shaking is like a shivering. The vomit varies from white foam, yellow liquid or, if hes eaten, whatever has gone down comes up.The vet said they would do a scan if there was evidence of him having eaten something unpleasant but there was no such evidence. He's a picky eater and no scavenger. He weighs 9.3 kilo not on medication
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They gave him charcoal - he's covered in it
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- I am confused, did they take xrays?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They couldn't feel anything in his stomach so said it wasn't necessary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don;t have a thermometer - it was normal at 4.30 pm
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 hours ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thers a lot of coughing/choking with no vomit also
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when a dog is vomiting we need to consider either disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease (kidneys, liver, etc.). If the blood work was normal this will rule out things like the liver, kidneys, etc. So, now it is time to focus on the gastrointestinal tract. Possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, tumors, etc. It is also important to remember that in some cases we can also have pancreatitis yet not be reflected in the blood work. The shaking is likely to be a sign of discomfort. In this case, the next step is to do either xrays or an abdominal ultrasound. I would prefer an abdominal ultrasound as this will provide more details than plain xrays. The fact that your vet did not feel anything and blood work being normal further supports the use of an ultrasound to try to explain the vomiting. If your vet does not feel comfortable doing this I would request a referral to an internal medicine specialist. Strongly recommend having this done as soon as possible. In the meantime this is what you can do for the vomiting: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a re-check and imaging (ultrasound). If he continues to vomit after doing the above discuss with your vet about hospitalizing him on supportive care (IV fluids, antiemetics, etc.) until they reach a definitive diagnosis.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Would you think the 'fit' was connected to the gastro problems?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
It could, it is known that in some patients when under "stress" from any illness they can seize. Certainly we can consider as well primary disorders affecting the brain. But, the fact that he is not showing neurological symptoms like: "Difficulty walking, continues seizing, head tilts, etc." leads me to first focus in the gastrointestinal tract or abdomen. Please reply if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
+Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. :)