Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 year old cavalier has a heart murmer and recently his

my 10 year old cavalier has a heart murmer and recently his coughing has got more frequent. he had a scan last year and I want him to have some medication for this condition. Is it necessary to have another scan before my vet (Medivet) can prescribe some treatment?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.When they did a heart scan last year, what were the results?When was the last time he had blood work done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
actually they were rather vague and said he wasn't that serious. The cause of all the concern was aparently a muscle strain but they never seem to give any hard and fast answers. He did have blood tests in or around October as he had a swelling come up on his face which apparently after these people put the fear of God into us was probably an insect bite
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. If the heart scan was normal last year, I feel like rechecking it would be in his best interest to make sure that is the cause of the cough. I can't really say if money is all they care about, but what they are suggesting is part of a thorough work up to make sure they are treating the right cause of the cough. It is possible that it isn't heart related and could be due to a chronic bronchitis that older dogs often get or a mass in the lungs. If there are no changes in the heart (i.e.; size, valves, wall thickness, extent of regurgitation), then putting on that medication would not be in his best interest. With that being said, I know how money can add up over time and how frustrating it is to having to keep on shelling out money. I think that at the very least, I would want an x-ray of the chest to look at the overall size of the heart and evaluate the lungs better. I probably wouldn't put him on heart medications either without at the very least a chest x-ray and routine monitoring of blood work to check liver and kidney function. It is just part of a good work up and good medicine to do what is right for the patient and to not make mistakes. With patients with heart issues, the current recommendation from veterinary cardiologists is to check an ultrasound of the heart on a yearly basis at least. I hope this make sense. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.