Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

How can I get my dogs ear to stop bleeding?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You needed an answer hours ago. The approach to such bleeding is predicated upon the type of injury. First of all, never remove the scab. That's the ticket for continued bleeding. If the scab is removed prematurely and bleeding arises once again, direct pressure and styptic powder (that used for shaving cuts or bleeding nails cut too short) may suffice but some skin lesions will need to be electrocauterized or sutured closed by Morse's vet. If styptic powder isn't available, flour can be used in a pinch. Ear margins are notoriously difficult to stop bleeding. These require cautery and immobilization of the pinna (ear flap). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.