nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 month old pup has a lump at the top of his leg almost

My 8 month old pup has a lump at the top of his leg almost in his armpit. It's round, hard, has been growing steadily in size but does not seem to bother him. The surface of the lump is scaly and at times is dark in colour, the surrounding tissue is slightly red at times. What is it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now I have to note that any lump near a limb must be handled with care. This is because while cancer is uncommon at this age, it can happen and the success of surgical removal tends to hinge on how fast we get the mass off (before it grows to big to remove safely for them).That aside, in regards ***** ***** could cause this type of lump, its important to understand that we often cannot diagnose masses by external appearance alone (not even in people). Therefore, we do have a range of concerns here for Diesel. If it has only just appeared, then soft tissue swelling, abscesses, and insect sting induced allergic reactions wold be our main concerns. That said, we can also see this type of appearance with cysts, benign masses like histiocytomas, and nasty cancers like mast cell tumors (which we can see in pups, can change colors, and can have inflammation/redness). Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance of a bee/spider/wasp sting or bite, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Though if the lump doesn't settle within 24 hours or has been present for a few days already, then it does mean that we need to consider those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst is likely and removal tends to be cosmetic. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. Overall, if this lump is sudden in appearance, we would consider those initial sudden onset concerns but if it has been there longer we do have some serious ones to consider as well. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out those aforementioned concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for Diesel.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add I first noticed it 10 days ago and it looked like a boil, I admit I tried to squeeze it but there was no pus. It has grown since and is now slightly larger than pea sized. I also have photos if required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your answer. Did you have a chance to look at the photo? I'm not sure if that will alter your opinion or rule out some possibilities.I don't believe he has been stung but I cannot say that with any certainty. Anti-histamines wise...I have loratadine here at the moment, can I give that instead?Thanks
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,Thank you for the photo and further information. I would note that the skin changes are just due to the mass stretching the skin in this area and not suggestive of what is present. As well, thankfully, as this is on the body near the limb and not on the limb itself, this is a more accessible area if it did require surgical removal.That all said, if this has been there for 10 days already and considering its appearance, then I'd be wary of this being one of those other issues. It may be a benign histiocytoma, but with his rapidly it sounds to be growing I do feel it'd be best to have this checked and sampled to ensure we nip this in the bud if needed.All the best,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,Since we posted in the same moment I do just want to repost to ensure you see my reply -Dr. B***Thank you for the photo and further information. I would note that the skin changes are just due to the mass stretching the skin in this area and not suggestive of what is present. As well, thankfully, as this is on the body near the limb and not on the limb itself, this is a more accessible area if it did require surgical removal.That all said, if this has been there for 10 days already and considering its appearance (which rules out insect bites and soft tissue inflammation), then I'd be wary of this being one of those other issues. It may be a benign histiocytoma, but with his rapidly it sounds to be growing I do feel it'd be best to have this checked and sampled to ensure we nip this in the bud if needed.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )