Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has just returned from swimming round a duck pond -

My dog has just returned from swimming round a duck pond - chased fix round s pond ended up swimming round in cuticles fit half an hour
He has swollen stomach - I suspect from water - but has dried off and is very disturbed / looping round the house rubbing himself in the floor , panting ; rubbing his head
Would this be from water in ears ? How do I get it out ?
Or should I be worried about the panting ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you confirm that you meant to type the following?: "My dog has just returned from swimming around a duck pond - chased ducks around the pond and ended up swimming around in circles for half an hour."Yes, his stomach is likely to be distended by both water and air ingestion while he was busy chasing the ducks. His rubbing himself on the floor and panting suggests a dog suffering from an uncomfortable hypersensitivity reaction - an allergy to envenomation by flying insect or spider, exposure to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, algae in the pond, etc. He has already rid his ears of water by his behavior but his ear canals might well be inflamed and on their way to becoming infected ("swimmer's ears) and so if his behavior continues, it would be prudent to have his vet scope those ears.May I have an update on Otis, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank youHe eventually put himself in his bed - quiet area understairs . Not wanting to move at all - he had a lot of flicking of his limbs , checked his paws and limbs and there wasn't any pain points ; he is now back to normal - 1.30am. Distension has gone and has had weeWill keep and eye on him tomorrow - and keep
Him on lead. Never seen him so wired .
Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.