Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Today my dog seemed in pain and stiff. He is eating, drinking,

Today my dog seemed in pain and stiff. He is eating, drinking, passing urine and had his bowels open. This evening he seems disorientated and he is wavering when he walks...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your dog has been acting oddly today - I'll do my best to help. Based on the limited information you've got so far, I'd be wondering if perhaps he is having a spinal issue. When they have something like a slipped disc, they can start having back pain that can become progressively more severe. If the disc issue begins pressing on the spinal cord, it can cause weakness and loss of coordination in the back or all four legs. If the signs are becoming progressively worse as time goes on, then I would consider having him examined at an emergency clinic if at all possible. If the signs are progressive, then you'll want to have him seen before they get too bad. If he seems to be leveling off and not getting any worse, you could consider waiting to call your own veterinarian when they open. It's definitely a good idea to keep him from walking or moving about so that he doesn't worsen his injury or back issues. Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)