Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Toots, Irish Terrier, spayed, female, 7 years old had an operation

Toots, Irish Terrier, spayed, female, 7 years old had an operation to remove a large struvite bladder stone. The Vet put her on a life long special diet: royal canine Urinary S/O.
I have been told by the Vet that she should not eat anything else.
I am worried about her teeth and I would like to give her dental sticks and marrow bones from time to time. She had this before she was put onto the special diet. Could this cause problems?
Is there anything else I can do for her teeth? I can’t brush them as she freaks out. She is a rescue and we have her only since 2 years.
Furthermore I was reading that a dog should not be put onto a life long low protein diet as the one she is now on as this could cause problems in the long term. Is this correct?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. Friend, in response to your questions, the ingredients in Dentastix are mainly rice, wheat starch, glycerin, etc. not protein so they will be ok to give to your dog. I would not recommend you give marrow bones. As far as long term food, there are prescription diets like Hill's s/d that should not be used long term. But, the Royal Canine SO can be used long term. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is there anything else I can do for her teeth as I can't brush them?
Why do you not recommend marrow bones?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
The marrow bones are high in animal protein and this will go against in managing struvites. I would also discuss with your vet about periodically checking a urine culture and sensitivity as there is a component of infection in the development of stones. If you can not brush her teeth you can try dental pads it is easier on them than a toothbrush. You can buy those over the counter in any pet store.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any other treat she can have like eggs or yoghurt etc.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You can give her veggies like baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. most dogs will love these.