Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have just posted a question so this is concerning

Customer Question

Hi I have just posted a question so this is a follow up concerning my 10 year old collie/whippet Tara who has a history of colitis but today 21/2/16 has been vomiting up bile at least 5 times. She has been listless, tired, resting all day like someone with flu stuck to their bed. She has not eaten. She has a little tremor on her which i have noticed before but the no one, our vet included, knows why. It is not a permanent thing but can be quite noticable. She drinks a normal amount of water, doesnt urinate to excess, is prone to diarrhoea but that hasnt been and issue today, is prone to straining to have a poo but unable to and that has been an issue today. I have never seen her this bad. She has a slight redness in one eye. We are so concerned about her if anyone is on line now can they please advise us urgently what they think this might be. I guess I will take her to a vet anyway but I would some guidance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I did respond to the question you asked about Tara but for some reason, it didn't post. I'll type it again but please give me a minute to do so. I tried to post this question as a duplicate so that you won't be charged double for it but I was unable to do so. You might contact customer service and ask them to fix this for you. If you have additional questions after you read my response, you can reply here or to the other question. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
Since Tara has normal stools, it seems less likely that she's having a colitis episode although it certainly sounds as if she is having some sort of gastrointestinal issue. Of course, dog who have a reduced appetite will also vomit bile since it's quite irritating to the stomach lining when it's empty. It might be helpful if you could take her temperature if you have a thermometer since dogs with fevers frequently are lethargic and don't want ot eat. Normal is between 100 and 102.5. Possible explanations for a fever would include viral or bacterial infections, tick diseases, auto-immune conditions...just to name a few reasons. Given her age, I might also be somewhat concerned that a systemic issue might be present such as a problem with her kidneys, liver or pancreas, for example. Many of these conditions can develop quite suddenly although in most patients there are other signs such as weight loss or changes in thirst. As to over the counter treatment options, you could give her an antacid such as I mentioned in the other question:Omeprazole (prilosec) at a dose of 1/2 mg per pound of body weight once a day.Ranitidine can also be given but may be harder to dose in smaller dogs given that 75 mg is the smallest size...at least here in the States. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day. I might offer her a small amount of boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 20-minute white rice in 4-5 hours if she hasn't vomited but only just a small amount.I would also restrict the amount of water she's offered especially if she was vomiting soon after she drinks it. Pedialyte is a good option for her since it contains electrolytes which may help to make her feel better. I, too, suspect that she'll need to be seen tomorrow but, hopefully, one of the antacids will be effective in helping to settle her stomach. I hope this helps but, again, my apologies for the site issues I appear to be having. Deb