Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My puppy's right eye looks different when he is sat looking

Customer Question

My puppy's right eye looks different when he is sat looking at you when the light is shining on it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Tucker. How long has his right eye looked different? Is he squinting or holding it shut? Is he rubbing it? Can you take a picture and post it for me to see?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I upload a photo please
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am trying to find out how to upload a photo your site is not very user friendly
I'm sorry about the site being a little challenging for navigation. In the tool bar above this typing area, there is a paper clip icon that you can hit that will let you attach images. Can you try this and see how that goes? I'm sorry for my delay in a response as I had an emergency on my side that pulled me away briefly.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry there is no tool bar just this box to type in
Dang. In a way, I'm a user of the site just like yourself. I come online to try and help pet owners out when they have questions. I'm not sure what your side of the interface looks like. I apologize that my "computer" knowledge is not that great. I wish it was better and I could help you. We can maybe get around this if you want to post the picture on a photo sharing site like Flickr or Snapfish and then I can find it there once you give me the link to it. Do you feel that his eye is still looking the same? Is he squinting with it or rubbing it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No its not bothering him at all may be a reflection of the light. Was just a bit worried it might be a cataract but he's only 6 months old
That is good that it isn't bothering him at all at this time! What I look for as far as more emergent type of situations with the eyes are if they are being held shut / squinting, cloudiness of the eye, blood inside the eye, injected / red whites of the eye or significant discharge from eye. I don't like to take chances with eyes and if any of these were going on, then getting him evaluated as soon as possible would be the best thing. If he's comfortable and none of those are going on, then could you be seeing something that is there inside the eye? Or is it the lighting? Honestly, I've seen cases where it goes both ways. Some can just have light reflect off the cornea and it makes it seem like there's something there. Others can truly have something there like lipid / mineral deposits on the inside of the eye, opacification of spots on the cornea, or it isn't totally impossible to have juvenile cataracts develop.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would be much happier if I could upload a photo do u have an email I could send it to please
I wish I could see that image too. Per site policy I can't receive emails. That is just the way that is set up. What about snapfish.com and posting it there. They have free membership and then you can give me the link.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok will try
Good luck!!! Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have sent it
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am looking at the actual eye ball not round the outside of it.
Good job on posting the photos! I got a chance to look at them. Looking at a picture is more challenging as you lose a lot of depth perception. It almost looks like there is a little patch of opacity on the central aspect of where the lens would be behind the pupils. Could this be an opacity in the lens or on it? Could it be a juvenile cataract or possibly a lens that has luxated? The key here is going to be being able to be right there to evaluate it up close. Being able to see where that opacity seems to be. Could it be jus the lighting? That may be the case too. This does 't look like an emergency situation but it is something to get checked out.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thank you
I'm hoping for the best for this guy! He looks very inquisitive in those photos.