Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My Staffordshire terrier 10 next week has been off colour

My Staffordshire bull terrier 10 next week has been off colour since yesterday he hasn't been sick but a bit lethargic as if he didn't have the energy to do anything although he sat with me this morning he was hungry so I gave him some food sorry yesterday he was drinking a lot he drank today but not as much and he was a lot more alert but for the last couple of hours he seems to have gone back over he's asleep doesn't appear in obvious pain but can't be bothered to move although he allowed me to move him his breath is very smelly also
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Jose. I'm sorry he's not his normal self. Can you answer these questions to help me understand a little better what is going on. Has he been losing weight? Has he had any recent vomiting? Has he had any previous health issues or is he on any current medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he's quite a big staffie he's not losing weight last week a couple of times he appeared to have a fur ball in his throat coughing to clear it not actually sick. He is in general good health although he has little lumps on him size of a spot but my brother said these are just warts with his age
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That is good that he's not been losing weight. It is also good that in general his health has been good up to this point. Do you feel he's able to walk comfortably? Is he breathing with more effort or rate than normal? Did he eat a decent amount today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had a bit chicken dry dog food and half a tin of dog food he seems to have problem walking no energy but doesn't appear to be in pain
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That is good that he wanted to eat those things. Do you feel that if he looks at you, his eyes are normal? They aren't moving side to side? As far as walking, does he just want to go down? Are his gums pink?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just wants to lie down can't be bothered to move he's not drinking now so I have been wetting his mouth and tongue. His gums are very pink I can't see if his eyes are def going from side to side but they appear glazed as if it's an effort to look he seems to just want to rest
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Usually if the eyes are moving from side to side, it is pretty apparent. That is good that his gums are very pink. One of the things that I'm always concerned with in older dogs that are acting similar to this is the possibility of internal bleeding from a tumor on an organ like the spleen or liver. Sometimes the smallest cancer can be there of the nature of a hemangiosarcoma and it can have no outward signs until it starts to bleed into the belly. Outward, all that can be seen initially is them being more quiet or dumpy. As the bleeding gets more progressed, they can start to have pale gums. Sometimes it waxes and wanes depending on how much bleeding happens. Could this be a possibility with him? It is on my list of rule outs. Could he have some pressure on his heart from fluid accumulating there? Some will have ups and downs as fluid builds up there. Typically they start to breath harder and are very weak as it gets a lot more progressed. Could he have some musculoskeletal issue / discomfort like arthritis? Even though he's not overtly painful, it may still be hurting him and laying around more is a good way to let his body rest. I'm going to be honest here and say that my best recommendation is to get this guy to your vet here as soon as possible for them to do a physical exam on him and some blood work and x-rays. He's getting up there in years and this will be a good screening process to see what may or may not be going on. Based on that information, then options to help him feel better can be laid out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you his gums are def pink but his stomach is hard but it could always be like this he is settled now and I am staying downstairs with him
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully his gums stay pink, he stays comfortable, and he keeps breathing nice and normal. If his stomach was to get harder and he was to start to retch / attempt to vomit and get nothing up, then that would immediately have me extremely concerned for a situation where the stomach has twisted and this is an immediate serious emergency. Could his stomach seem hard as there is fluid in there? That is a consideration and your vet can screen for that with blood work and the x-rays. I'm hoping for the best for this guy!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking that the stomach could be swollen although he is a little overweight but stomach def hard he has always been a very healthy dog only problem he has ever had was 6 years ago he had an abcess when I have left the house today he hasn't come out to greet me when I return at all and his breath and wind smell foul
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Could he have over indulged in food of some sort? Some can get into excess amounts of their food, the cats food, or the garbage and eat enough to give them some discomfort in their abdomen due to the distention. Some will be pretty quiet after doing something like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of and he is only ever out with me not left to roam also I've never seen any evidence of the neighbours feeding him they went through a spell of throwing him bones off joints but I always binned them
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the chance of him getting into excess food or other edible things seems pretty minimal, but that doesn't eliminate that totally. It would be nice to take an x-ray of his belly as that would be the best way to start to rule things in or out off the rule out list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to say Jose has spells of shaking not fitting just as if he is shivering a lot
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Could this be signs of discomfort? Abnormal neurological stimulation? Those are some concerns with that. You can video what you are seeing to take that with you to the vet's visit so they can see absolutely what you are seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is sleeping and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort at present I will take your advice and thank you for your help and expertise I will stay with him tonight than you
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully some rest here tonight and time let him get back to his normal self! I'm hoping for the best for this guy!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is awake and it appears his eyes are going from side to side
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Ok! If they are moving side to side, this sounds like nystagmus. Basically his balance is off and this is what can be displayed for this. It can be due to ear issues or central brain issues, but most of the time no specific cause can be found and it is idiopathic. The nice thing with those is that they typically resolve in a few days on there own. Here is a good link on be stimulate diseasehttp://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=564
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
The biggest thing you can do is to let him be in a quiet, dark area to rest. Ideally he is confined so he can't get up and walk around and possibly fall as his balance is off.