nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MY DOG HAS A MOVEABLE LUMP AROUND HER SHOULDER AREA, SHE IS

MY DOG HAS A MOVEABLE LUMP AROUND HER SHOULDER AREA, SHE IS A SPRINGER SPANIEL AND IS 4 YEARS OLD.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has it been present?Is it firm, soft, fluidy, or sore to the touch?Any recent stings, bites, or traumas to the area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noticed it two weeks ago approx., thought it was a cyst. It is soft and fluidy to the touch and does not appear to be sore. No stings or bites or trauma that I know of although she is a very active dog.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now as I am sure you can appreciate when we see any lump on our pets, we do have to consider a range of issues. Still if this is a lump has been present for a wee while, she is very active, and the lump feels fluidy, then cysts, trauma induced hematomas (blood blister like lesions), soft tissue swelling, lipoma (fatty lump) and abscesses (though less likely here) would be our top concerns. As well, but to a lesser extent, we could see this type of appearance with some skin based benign and malignat tumors but usually they will be firm in appearance (save for a few like hemagiosarcomas or hemagiopericytomas) Now with these in mind, to start and rule out the inflammation or hematoma concerns, you can consider warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).Though if we find it isn't settling, then we'd need to consider those other issues. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst is most likely. If fat is removed, then we likely have a lipoma. (Both can be removed but are considered cosmetic as opposed to absolutely necessary). Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.Overall, we do have a few concerns for this lump on your lass. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try warm compressing it over the next 24 hours. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle; then we’d want to have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your lass. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply I will try the warm compress first, then will take her to the vet over the next few days. The village I stay in does not have a veterinary practice need to make an appointment to be seen in the village near me! She (Izzy) has been acting a bit strange over the past few days going under the bed and scratching the carpet and has been off her food but I think she could be having another phantom pregnancy as this has happened in the past and I'm sure this is a separate issue.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,We can see those types of behaviors if they are starting with a phantom pregnancy, so we do want to keep an eye on that. But those signs aren't likely related to the lump at all.In regards ***** ***** lump, that sounds like a fine plan of action since its not an urgent situation (as its not causing her bother). Its just one we don't want to leave to linger, since the sooner we know which it is the sooner we can treat it.All the best for Izzy,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that really does help, will take Izzy to the vet and have the lump checked.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.Take care,Dr. B.