Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My little Yorkie c*****, *****, is terrified of bangs

My little Yorkie c*****, *****, is terrified of bangs (especially fireworks) and loud noises. He's a rescue dog and I've had him since August 2009. I've been told to ignore his panic (he trembles and pants and gets very, very distressed) and to carry on as normal as it I try to cuddle him etc., it's just telling him it's OK to be frightened. A friend has given me some Pooch & Mutt treats which are supposed to calm dogs if given prior to a stressful situation. Before I give him these, though, I wondered if you could tell me if they're safe/good for the little fellow. I don't want to give him something that's full of additives - it does say on the box that these are natural and healthy but I'd be grateful for your comments, please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I reviewed the ingredients in that product and found nothing of harm to Eric but also nothing of benefit when addressing noise phobias. The principle ingredient was l-tryptophan - a naturally occurring amino acid which can help maintain a feeling of well-being and relaxation; it can't satisfactorily address acute phobias, however. Oral medication may be helpful in managing fearful situations, however, but the ones most prescribed are anti-anxiety drugs such as alprazolam (not available in the UK), clorazepate, buspirone and antidepressants such as clomipramine, amitripyline, fluoxetine, or paroxetine.The management of pets with noise phobias has quite a few steps. Here's a synopsis of that management written by specialist veterinary behaviorists: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/fear_thunder_loud_noises.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/ You have a good resource here: www.apbc.org.ukPlease respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your advice - it's much appreciated.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.