Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 week old black male lab, 12.8 pounds, swallowed a bully

My 8 week old black male lab, 12.8 pounds, swallowed a bully stick. It was about 4 inches in length. One minute it was sticking out of his mouth and the next it was gone. I don't know what to do. I fed him around 12:30 about 1/2 cup of food hoping maybe he would vomit it up but all he did was pee outside. Its been about 45 minutes and now he's napping. Most people tell me not to worry that he'll probably vomit it up tonight, or pass it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since he ate it? 2- By any chance would you have happen to have the package to list the ingredients?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He ate this morning at 7:30 and then again at 12:30pm which was about 30 minutes after the bully stick vanished. The ingredient list says 100 Beef Pizzle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
100%
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Great, this is made from bull's penis it is digestible, your puppy will be fine. Just in case if he is not able to digest all of it I would change his diet to rice and boiled boneless or ground beef for a few days to help him pass any portion that is not digested. Symptoms to look for that would require a vet visit are: Lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.