Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I am hand raising an orphan puppy. He ate a very big meal about

I am hand raising an orphan puppy. He ate a very big meal about 6 hours ago. He is just now getting fussy but hit stomach still feels a little hard.pooped and peed recently. should i be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for the orphaned puppy you're raising but I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind: 1. How old is he?2. Were the stools he recently produced normal consistency?3. No straining, correct?4. Does he otherwise seem healthy and happy?5. Are you tube feeding him or using a bottle? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Deb.
He is now 5 days old. The stools were soft and a yellowish color but not runny. He didnt seem to be straining and has defecated more than once today. He is otherwise acting normal. Sleeping a lot and wanting to suckle. I am using a bottle to feet him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
feed him* he does make little moaning sounds periodically
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information. It sounds as if he's doing pretty much what I would expect a 5 day old puppy to do which is to eat and then sleep with urination and defecation at appropriate times.Unhappy puppies vocalize and cry so he doesn't sound unhappy; little moaning sounds can be normal and reflect contentment. I wouldn't be too concerned about a slightly hard abdomen at this point. However, having said that, constipation issues are fairly commonly seen ones when milk replacers are used to bottle feed neonates so I'd advise that you dilute it more than indicated on the label...by about 25%. I would feed based on the label recommendations as to amount but at 5 days of age, I'd be feeding more frequently than every 6 hours...closer to every 3-4 around the clock if at all possible (although I realize that sleep deprivation is not a pretty thing!!). I hope this helps and that he continues to thrive. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually wait until he wakes up. Thats the only reason it has been so long plus I didnt want his abdomen to become too distended. The first few days he would wake up every 2-3 hours to eat but now he has been sleeping for much longer intervals in-between meals so i was somewhat concerned. I woke him up about an hour ago and gave a small amount of milk but i will dilute some more from now on.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
It's sometimes tough to know exactly how to manage these newborns when they're orphaned but they should be eating every 3-4 hours at least....even if you have to wake them up to feed them. Neonates typically require 60 mls of formula per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period with this volume split into equal amounts.Week two they require 70 mls just to give you an idea of how much they should be getting. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. Ill continue to feed him every few hours and half him to defecate. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
help him*
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome. Sounds like you're doing a good job and I hope this little fella continues to do well under your care:) Kind regards, Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Best of luck with him:) Kind regards, Deb