nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has recovered from surgery to remove a liposarcoma.

My dog has recovered from surgery to remove a liposarcoma. There was no sign of visual spread and because he's 9, we've opted not to do chemo. I would like to give him turmeric powder daily in hope that it could help prevent recurrence. How much should I give a 65lb dog? The amounts on various sites vary greatly. The past 2 days I've given him a full teaspoon and he's tolerating well, but I dint want to do more harm than good.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, I would first note that you are correct there is a lot of variation in recommended doses. This is because there just haven't been enough studies done to pinpoint the ideal dosing range for best effect in dogs. Furthermore, it is the Curcumin in the Turmeric that is what has been showing positive effects against cancers. And as the portion of this can vary in our Turmeric preparations, this too can affect the dose we'd give.In any case, when Turmeric is used in these types of situations, this tends to be started at a rate of 80mg/kg daily (given as one dose or split into two) with a max dose of 120 mg/kg. For a 65lb dog, this would translate to a dose of 2363mg (2.3 grams) daily and at most 3.4g. Since a teaspoon is usually ~5g, we'd want to adjust the dose you have given down to half a teaspoon daily at this point since we just don't want to trigger any stomach upset for Fabio as we try to help him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )