Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My five and a half month old puggle has just vomited all her

My five and a half month old puggle has just vomited all her evening meal back. She hasn't eaten much at all today and when given treats ( training her for commands) she takes them but places in her bed. No liquid at all drunk( I measure)she is breathing deeply and heart racing, lethargic. This is all a first for her and I'm worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. No
2. Last check up was 3 weeks ago and she weighed 6.8kg
3. Her gums look pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- How many hours since she ate her meal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6pm so 4 hours ago. She vomited within 30 minutes after walking round in a state of lethargy . That meal was 61g of natures diet puppy junior which she has had since 10 weeks old. She has refused all treats and dry food since yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, lethargy and vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need to be seen by family vet for a hands on examination. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. Or, you can use Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac (ranitidine) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not in an area where I can purchase any medication nor do I have any in the house. Will she be ok tonight, is there anything I need to watch out for?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If you can not get these meds just fast her as I describe above. If she continues to vomit while fasting, gums turn pale (should be pink), bloody diarrhea, etc. I would have her checked by ER veterinarian. Please reply if you have additional questions.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.