nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My black lab won't stop scratching he does not have fleas he

my black lab won't stop scratching he does not have fleas he also bites his fur off his side and tail can you advise if I can buy anything we have bathed him in medicated shampoo from pet shop
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?Where is he itching/hair pulling/grooming specifically (ie back end, back, belly, etc)?Are you seeing any changes to the skin (ie pimples, pustules, scabs, sores, ulcers, redness, dander, or crusting)?Even if you aren't seeing fleas, can you tell me when did you last treat for fleas? What did you use?Any diet change in the 4-6 weeks before this started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its round his tail which he has pulled fur off between his legs his belly and chewed hair off his thigh on back leg we have used medicated shampoo spray for itching nothing for fleas never seen any on him since we have had him he does not mix with other dogs we just need some thing to put on him please help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long will we have to wait we need to go get him something
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I am actually typing my full reply to you now and will post when shortly.Dr. B.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience (as you can see I had quite a bit to type back about your lad). Based on the area he is targeting, we do have a few concerns. First, I must note that if you see him showing any scooting or chewing around his rectum; then we'd want to consider having his local vet or groomer check his anal glands. Just to note, most vet practices will let you book in with the nurse for that type of check, which can be less costly.Otherwise, our main concern for chewing that area and assuming there are no changes in the skin would be allergy induced irritation. Now medicated shampoos aren't going to help with that. Instead, you'd want to use an emollient one (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based ones) to soothe the irritation. As well, if there are areas that are particularly inflamed or sore, you can apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to them as needed. Of course, topical treatments will only have a limited effect and may not be practical for diffuse irritation like this. Therefore, in this case, we'd instead want to think about treating from the inside out. Now if his signs are severe, then a long acting steroid treatment from his vet may be best. Still, if his signs are not severe, we can try him with an over the counter antihistamine like Piriton (Chlorphenamine). This can be give at a dose of 4-8mg every 8-12 hours and can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, so start on the lower side of the dose, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Overall, we can see this type of situation for a range of reasons in dogs. So, we'd want to check his anal glands if he has shown any irritation with them, but otherwise consider the above to soothe his irritation and keep him comfortable. All the best,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you just mean Piriton from chemist will try then see to book anal test thank you
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I do mean the very same. :) We often use Piriton for people for dogs and it can really reduce skin irritation from allergic triggers.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )