Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My ***** ***** acting strange like he is seeing ghosts

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Buddy. How often is he having these events where he acts like he's seeing something that isn't there? Is he in between these events completely normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most evenings he also hides under the bed and only comes out when I come home
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
So he's only doing this in the evening hours? Do you feel that he's acting more his normal self during the day when say it is brighter out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm not currently set up to handle phone calls at this time. If this forum works for you, I can continue by these means.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds about rite
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
One of the things that I consider when a dog his age is acting off more in the evening hours when lighting may not be as good is a visual issue. Could he be getting changes in the lenses of his eyes that is causing decreased vision in the lower light situations. Sometimes when this happens, they can become more confused and act differently. Could there be some sound or smell that is happening at that time that is the cause of this behavior? I've seen a few cases where this is suspect. It is good that he's acting normal during the rest of the day as that would make this less likely to be a major health related issue. The best thing that I can recommend is for you to video some of the events that you're seeing so your vet can see what you're seeing. After seeing those, they can do a good evaluation of him to see if they can find any issues with his eyes. Some can have "floaters" / debris in the liquid portion of the eye that can cause them to see things that are there in their eyes but not elsewhere. This should be happening throughout the day though.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I want to make sure I address all questions as best as I can. Can you let me know what I need to address / focus on more?