Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My springer is 15 and as just started licking the floor and

Customer Question

My springer is 15 and as just started licking the floor and drinking a lot he will not settal and as a funny noise in is thort.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your pup Baz's sudden compulsion to drink water and lick the floor, not wanting to settle and making a strange throat noise.I suspect that the noise that you are hearing is his stomach refluxing acid, and maybe some stomach contents, into his esophagus. Dogs with nausea or gastroesophageal acid reflux often lick things or drink water to try to make themselves feel more comfortable. They will often swallow repeatedly and lick things trying to soothe their nausea and acid burn. If they can rid themselves of whatever is irritating their stomach that way then all is good. But when they continue to be uncomfortable then we need to stop them from licking and drinking any more. It isn't helping and a stomach filled with water may make him vomit or just make him feel worse. Possible causes of nausea include a quick change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are possible, as is a gastrointestinal obstruction.Has he eaten anything he should not have recently (toy pieces, bones, garbage)?Any changes in food or treats? You can give him acid reducers to try and settle his stomach. Either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used long term if necessary as they are very safe. I'd also pick up his food and water for now. A couple hours after giving one of the acid reducers you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick. No food for 24 hours. Small amounts of water only. After his 24 hour food fast then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in his regular diet and slowly convert him back. If his nausea continues, or he starts actively vomiting, then he may need injectable medication from his veterinarian to get his stomach upset under control.So watch him for continued nausea even with the acid reducers, blood in his stool or vomiting, or a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), a tense painful belly or lack of appetite after his food fast. If any of those occur it is time to seek hands on veterinary care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.