nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I've got an almost 7 year old half staff mix with

I've got an almost 7 year old half staff mix with beagle and something else. Even though she is almost 7 she is really active and lives chasing the ball and jumping. Yesterday I took her to the park and she played catching a ball for 10 minutes. Lots of running and she jumps really high trying to catch the ball...She seemed totally fine. As soon as we got home her back left started twitching and she seemed really uncomfortable and she was not able to find the right way to rest...I went to work and went I came back she did not come to greet me me as usual...she was in her bed and he would refuse to move. If I try to touch any of her back legs she won't let me...she can walk slowly but she yelps really loudly (especially when she gets up...) she still eating normally..A few years back something similar happen to her. After a walk she got almost the same symptoms I described (minus the twitching) And she wasn't moving her tail at all. Now she moves her tail....the vet told me it was something muscular gave her some pain medicine and sent her home...after a few days she was fine.I do want t take her to the vet later on today. As for now she won't let me touch her or let alone carry her.. So I was wondering what could it be and what could I do to help her until I take her to the vet.Thank you,
Maria
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.
Hello & welcome, Maria. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on the signs you have reported, we do have a few concerns for Misty.As long as can put weight on the her back legs, isn't dragging either one, than more serious issues like spinal damage, hip dislocation, or fractures would be less likely. Instead, her signs are suggestive of muscle strain, a pinched nerve, +/- secondary to underlying arthritis.In that case, we do need to keep her rested at this stage and will need to do so for a few days. While doing do so, you will want to make sure she isn't jumping on/off things, using stairs, and walks should just be lead walks into the garden to do her business and back to resting. As well, if she is amenable, you can consider massaging or warm compressing the area. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).As well, with her age and risk of arthritis (in the back legs and spine), you can consider some supplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support her joints. For example, you can consider supplementing her with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And while more a long term option, it could just help soothe her inflammation and get her more comfortable quicker. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. And if there is some underlying arthritis creeping in that she hasn't told you about, this can help allay and underlying irritation from it. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for her.Furthermore, since she is very sore, as long as she has no health issues and isn't on any other medications, you can give her a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin) once to twice daily after food. Of course, if her signs linger, then we'd want a check with her vet (possibly a home visit if you cannot safely move her to be seen) to have this assessed further for her and have her vet dispense strong pain relief to settle this for her.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for your answer. That link you gave me for the aspirin dose is not working. Could you please send me another one?
Thank yiu
Expert:  nekovet replied 10 months ago.
You are very welcome,It should if you copy/paste it into your web browser or you can try by clicking HERE. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.