Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog is very poorly, he is a Staffordshire terrier and

My dog is very poorly, he is a Staffordshire bull terrier and for the last 48 hours he won't eat or drink or go to the toilet. We have taken him to the vets, they have given us painkillers, X-rays and blood tests but no blockage has shown. He is crying a lot and continuously tenses his stomach the higher part of his stomach. The only thing we can think that has been different is we gave him some fish on Wednesday night and then he was poorly the next day. Any thoughts or advice would be highly appreciated as we are very worried about him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Rocky. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. When you say he is not going to the toilet, do you mean not defecating, not urinating, or both? If he is not passing any urine in 2 days I am worried about his kidneys. If he is not defecating, that may just be due to his not eating. When blood tests were done, do you know if he was tested for pancreatitis? Pancreatitis could cause these symptoms. The test for pancreatitis is not always part of the blood panel that is done, and what you describe is what is seen in dogs with pancreatitis. If he were my own dog, I would start him on IV fluids. After 48 hours of not eating or drinking, he is probably dehydrated. I would start him on Cerenia for internal abdominal pain, and I would run a specific pancreatitis test. If you look at his gums, do they look pale or pink?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, he is urinating but totally agree he is dehydrated and we have organised him to go in to the vets overnight for IV to rehydrate. We have been tested for pancreatitis and that came back clear so the only thing I can think is some form of food poisoning.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am glad he will be rehydrated. That should make him feel better. Food poisoning usually causes diarrhea, and vomiting. Is he doing either of these? If you have copies of his blood tests I would be interested to look at them.Thank you for the great rating and let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the bonus!