Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Past 2-3 weeks, only after laying down and getting

For the past 2-3 weeks, only after laying down and getting up my dog cannot put her rear leg down for about 30 secs to a 1 minute, but once she has put it to the floor she runs around as normal and there is no sign of a limp. There is no change in her liveliness or her personality.
I have taken her to the vet and there is no sign of injury, her joints are not clicking or creaking and her muscle definition is very good. She is a collie and turned 5 years old last week. She is very engertic and spends most of her day chasing waves up and down the beach.
I would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Ella has this stiffness when getting upMy primary concerns would be either a muscle or tendon injury that should be rested for 1-2 weeks to allow healing or a partial cruciate tear which can be quite subtle initially and give no indications that this is an issue, even on orthopedic examination with your veterinarian A few things I would consider:- Circular massage from toes to hip and back down again, especially after laying down for an extended period of time- Rotating warm and cool compresses on the leg in ten minute intervals to aid in healing- Acupuncture and/ or laser therapy to stimulate healing and address the cause of her short periods of lameness- Restriction meaning no steps/ stairs for 1-2 weeks and leash to potty only to minimize running/ twisting/ turning- A glucosamine sulfate supplement to aid in prevention of arthritis and can show some improvement in lameness in some dogs as wellPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. Hopefully it is a muscle strain/ sprain that she walks off and restriction along with the above recommendations will allow her to heal and return to normal If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!