Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Why does my dog keep eating her own poo? She is a Shepherd

Customer Question

Why does my dog keep eating her own poo? She is a Shepherd and I have had them all my life, but never encountered this problem before. She did it when I first got her and I've tried many things to get her to stop it, but nothing is working. She is good for a few days then reverts to it again. I'm desperate, because I love her dearly but I cannot bear this habit- it disgusts me and I don't want her near me when she does it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear Molly is eating her own stool. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. This is actually not an unusual problem in young dogs, and they usually it. It does not mean there is anything lacking in her diet, it is just a bad habit. Although we humans find it disgusting, it is not harmful to her. I see you have tried many things; what have you done? There is a product for this problem called Forbid, and it is available without a prescription. You add it to her food for 5 to 7 days, and most dogs stop eating their stool with this treatment. Let me know what other questions I can answer.