How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10148
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

I have a five year old chihuahua who became poorly nearly

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have a five year old chihuahua who became poorly nearly two weeks ago, High temp leatahrgic & flu symptoms. I took her to my vet who gave her antibiotics ( Betamox) and was told to give her bed rest. Over the weekend she seemed to pick up but wasn't urintaing or deficating she also started refusing to go outside & was yelping from time to time. We back to the vets with a urine sample which showed traces of blood & was concentrated. The vet also emptied her anal glands which were pretty full & yucky. The vet then prescribed loxicom, lactolose and different antibiotics again as well as an antiinflamatory injection. Again my dog seemed to pick up over the next two days and on return to the vet for a check up he signed her off but gave her pro kaolin as her stools were a little loose. But for the past 3 or 4 days she has gone back down hill. She seems unwilling to move & refusing to go outside. She seems stiff in her movements & yelps when she moves a certain way. I can't find a source for her discomfort at all. She's very quiet and withdrawn and her behaviour is really odd she seems almost fearful. She's normally very outgoing and always on the move so it's really distressing seeing her this way. Her appetite isn't what it normally is either. I can pick her up and move her around without her being in pain but then she can be standing still with no one near her and she'll give a quick yelp then she cowers and doesn't want to be near anyone. Her teeth have been checked also & seem fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also has blood work done which came back normal expect for signs of infection, second urine sample come back normal as well after the change in antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind: 1. What "different" antibiotics was your dog prescribed when a urinary tract infection was diagnosed (blood in urine)?2. Is she still running a fever?3. Is she currently still on medication? If so, can you tell me the names of the drugs?4. Were x-rays taken of her spine? Since it looks as if you are currently offline, there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the change of antibiotics was to kesium her temp had returned to normal on her second visit. She's just finished the pro kolin and the kesium this morning no X-rays taken as yet. I'm still keeping her rested but I would have hoped to see an improvement in her by now.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back. I can understand why you'd be so concerned about her since I, too, might have expected improvement before now. From what I can tell (since I'm in the States and antibiotic names are ***** ***** here), Kesium and Betamox are close to being the same class of drug so I can't say that I'm surprised that you didn't see significant improvement if her problem may be one of the conditions I'll list below. I have a few thoughts as to what might be causing her behavior: 1. Some sort of issue with her spine such as compression by a disc or mass.I'm assuming your vet thought that there might be something going on with her spine since she was prescribed anti-inflammatory medication and was given an injection. And, this is a reasonable assumption to make given the symptoms which she developed after she had a fever and flu-like symptoms. An issue with the spine can sometimes be a challenge to diagnose without advanced imaging such as an MRI. X-rays may be suggestive of such a problem as might a thorough physical exam but not in every case. Often response to anti-inflammatory medication can help to determine if this is the issue.I'm not certain how long she was taking Loxicam but some patients need to be on this drug for longer than just a few days for lasting improvement to be seen. Some patients also require pain medication such as Tramadol and Gabapentin at the same time so this may be something to discuss with your vet. 2. Discospondylititis is another issue with the spine which is secondary to infection along the vertebrae which can be quite painful/uncomfortable. Symptoms might wax and wane initially until the condition as progressed. X-rays might initially be non-diagnostic for such an issue but as it progresses, obvious changes can be seen which help to pinpoint this as the problem.The treatment involves antibiotics but usually for fairly long periods of time--4-6 weeks at least. 3. I'm not certain if you have tick diseases where you live in the UK but I'd want to include this particular problem on the list. Lyme disease in particular is what's known as an opportunistic organism which means that it takes advantage when the patient may be ill from some other condition.But, it's certainly possible that she could have developed another illness since her current symptoms are different from when she was initially sick two weeks ago.These diseases can develop from ticks that fed months ago (lyme disease) or one week ago (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever). We do have tests for many of these diseases, but we are testing for antibodies, not the organism itself, in most cases. If antibodies are not being produced (for whatever reason) then the tests could be negative and yet this is still the underlying problem.I've also come to believe that there are tick diseases that we haven't even been able to identify yet and thus would not have tests for all of them. 4. Pyelonephritis or other kidney infection even though her second urinalysis was normal.If this were my case, the following is what I'd suggest: 1. Start her in Doxycycline which is the antibiotic of choice for most tick diseases that we see.2. Take a spinal x-ray.3. Consider a culture of the urine to determine if there might still be an infection present.4. I might consider an ultrasound of the kidneys but only if everything else is negative.5. I'd restart her on Loxicam and add a pain medication such as I mentioned above. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you so much for your time & opinion, My vet didn't mention anything about her spine although he did check her joints which he said were fine. I was beginning to worry about spinal issue myself so I will be definitely be suggesting this at our next appointment. He was going to do a urine culture but after her second sample come back clear he didn't think it necessary. Ticks aren't much of a problem here but it's something else I'll bring up. I don't feel he has explored all possibilities which I am very disappointed about (my regular vet has moved to another practice) Thought I needed another view point just to make sure I wasn't being impatient in her recovery. Again thank you for your time and advice
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome.I'm glad it seems that we're on the same page:) I don't think you're being impatient at all; two weeks is a long time for her to be having intermittent issues...which now appear to be persistent.And, there's never anything wrong with a second opinion either. Deb
Dr. Deb and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. And, best of luck with your dog. Kindest regards, Deb

Related Dog Questions