Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Doctor I trust you're well.. Please I wondered if

Customer Question

Hello Doctor
I trust you're well..
Please I wondered if you could help me...I've been waiting for 20+minutes when they said my waiting time is eight minutes!
My seven year old female chocolate Labrador has a sort of infection of the eyes.. they're inflamed and watery eyes... she squints to see.. I have no idea whether she struck them out on her walk this morning.. or whether she has a virus. I don't see her trying to scratch them.. but I am worried for the redness and involuntary tears.. what do you think is the problem?
Many thanks.
Sincerely
Mrs ******
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Brandy's eyes. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now. Inflamed watery eyes could be from allergies, or infection. It can also be from having a scratch on the cornea (clear surface of the eye), although usually when this happens it is not both eyes. If she were mine, I would do a special dye test to look for a scratch on the corneas; often you can't see these without doing this special test. If she has an eye infection, she may need eye drops with antibioitics. Until you can get her checked out, you can apply cool compresses to clean the eyes and help reduce swelling. You can use an over the counter eye medication for redness such as Visine. However, I always recommend an eye problem be checked by a veterinarian as soon as possible. If there is a scratch or damage to the corneas the sooner they are treated the better. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RebeccaThank you for your reply..
I am so disappointed.. I paid £14 for information that I could have Googled! I don't believe it!
I am upset to be frank. One of the reasons I paid the Just Ask vets is so I can avoid having to take the dog to the vets today because - according to you - she needs antibiotic drops and the dye test you mentioned. As it is, I do have Visine at home but that's it. I do feel fed-up now.Mrs S Fenney
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If this were my own dog, the first thing I would do is the dye stain to look for a lesion on the cornea. There is no home remedy substitute for that. If she has scratched her corneas, she needs medical care and prescription medication. You can request your deposit back (you have not paid yet!) from the moderators or I can request that for you.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr RebeccaFirstly, may I apologise for my harsh responses.. Forgive me..
Your advice was sound and brilliant..
At the time, I couldn't see straight for how stressed I've been - and I suppose with having to wait nearly 30 minutes, I grew impatient and irritated. Again, I am so sorry. You did not deserve that; and I am truly sorry.Dr Rebecca, you were absolutely right. My dog Brandy needs to be professionally seen, therefore I've made an appointment for her to see our family vet tomorrow. We may get to see him this evening if we're lucky!Please note that I've taken your advice on board and have, as you suggested; first cleansed the surrounding (exterior) of her eyes with cold, clean compresses.. changing them each time (every 30-60 mins) and discarding the previous ones. I've also administered the Visine drops - again as you suggested - and as I expected, the redness have subsided. However, she still squints to see and is tearing. I've also noticed, around the edges of her eyes are raw, and as I gently apply the compresses; she winces, so she might have tried to scratch them.Dr Rebecca.. Please accept my humble apologies.. Brandy has been unwell with Colitis just three weeks ago.. She's had so many antibiotics and is finally recuperating; now this. Not to mention the astronomical vet bill! So forgive my irritability.
Please do not take it personally. Moreover, I do no wish for a refund. Again, thank you and God bless you.From Brandy & mom.. We sincerely ***** ***** thank you.Kind regards *****
England, U.K.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating. No problems; no worries. You were frustrated, upset and worried. Please let me know how she is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****Oh thank you for understanding. Appreciate that very much.Brandy has seen our vet's today.
She has the luminous yellow dye -and thank heavens! No lesions on her cornea.
She also had a flea test since she had been scratching vigorously. No fleas. No bacterial infection. However, the vet noticed her eyes are shut tight and streaming, and noticed her scratching her chin, then concluded she has an allergy to pollen i.e. Hay fever! We confessed we washed her eyes with an over the counter saline solution for dogs last evening and kept on with the cold compresses. I've used an entire roll of disposable cloths.
Vet prescribed antihistamines and steroidal eye drops which we have to administer three times a day for five days.
So that's all Dr Rebecca..
I appreciate your interest in our Brandy. Poor thing.I hope you and your family, and all your pets are all well.. Thank you once again. God bless.Kind regards *****
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope Brandy starts to do better soon. Thank you for the kind thoughts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr RebeccaIt's day 4 and Brandy is back to her usual cheeky self. Her eyes are back to normal. Streaming has stopped; redness and swelling gone and of course - happy dog means happy, (and stress-free) mom & dad. I cannot thank you enough for your interest shown. God bless!With kindest regards ***** & Brandy Fenney
in sunny County Durham, England.
ūüėä
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear everyone is happy!