nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have as staffs who is 7 1/2 years old Last year

Customer Question

Hi I have as staffs bitch who is 7 1/2 years old
Last year I noticed she had a lump next to one of her nipple the vet at the rspca said she could fell 3 more and they fell as if they are tumours , to keep a eye on them as my dog wS still happy in herself ,
Over the last 3/4 months the lumps have got bigger she has started drinking about 2-3lt of water a day and she has been sick about 4 times just little bit over the week end plus her wee is more orange/ lite brown in colour.
I'm not sure what to do as the vet before said they won't remove the lump because of the money plus what and where they she may not pull though , please can you help thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 8 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, I have to say that we'd not expect a 7.5 year old healthy dog to not pull through surgery. So, that isn't really a reason not to look into this. I do understand costs may be an issue but for your peace of mind you may want to think about having these masses tested. Especially since 50% of mammary masses in dogs are non-cancerous. Therefore, you could have your vet evaluate these masses via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. These cells are then stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. And that would be advisable here to see if they are anything to worry about for Kandy. Especially since that way we can tell if her other signs are actually related to this. Turning out attentions to her increased thirst and vomiting, we do need to tread with care. It is possible that these signs could be secondary to the masses (if they are elevating her blood calcium) but we can see these signs related to other health issues like organ disease (ie kidney, liver, etc), GI infections, pancreatitis, and secondary to hormonal issues (ie diabetes, Cushing's etc). So, these new signs really need to be looked into to make sure they aren't secondary to the lumps but more importantly are not being caused by these other issues. So, if she is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up for her. Based on her vet's exam findings, you may want to consider having a blood sample taken to rule out the above. Based on the findings from this, we can determine which issue is to blame and address it properly for her.Finally, in the meantime, I do want to outline some supportive care for her nausea and vomiting. Specifically, you can consider starting her on a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, to soothe her stomach, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) or Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Overall, we do need to tread with care here. We can use the above supportive care for Kandy's GI signs but we'd want to have her vet look into that for her. And when they do so, you can have them test the lumps at the same time to see if thoe are to blame for these new signs or a worry at all. Once they know which issue is present, her vet can advise you on our best options and get her onto treatment to at least settle these new signs and keep her comfortable. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )