nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12 year old border terrier. She was eating grass

Hi, I have a 12 year old border terrier. She was eating grass earlier so I assumed she must have eaten something whilst scavaging. However although she has been sick (mainly grass) this evening she can't seem to stand properly and loses her balance. She is not very comfortable and looks in pain, do you think she has just eaten something that is making her feel ill or could it be something worse?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you think she is wobbly when trying to walk/stand or weak from vomiting?Any head tilting, circling or tremors?Any chance the grass has been treated with anything?Any changes to her breathing?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think she is weak from vomitting as she has only brought up a little grass with some fluid. Her belly seems a little tender and she really seems to struggle to lift her head in her bed. To be honest from time to time she does seem to eat something and have a similar problem but not this bad as she just can't stand properly and has fallen over quite a few times. Gums are normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grass hasn't been treated.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now we need to tread with care. We can see gait abnormalities and wobbliness with issues like arthritis at her age; but if this is seeming too arise the same time as the vomiting; then we'd be worried about this being related to a toxic exposure (ie plants, drugs, chemicals, etc). And I do have to warn that those tend to be urgent situations. Though if you don't think the grass was treated and there isn't anything harmful she was likely to get into then we can try to soothe her stomach while monitoring closely. And if something she ate is a red herring, I would note that both pancreatitis and gastroenteritis can cause these signs along with the belly tenderness. Now in regards ***** ***** we can do to try and soothe her nausea/stomach upset, we can plan to start her on an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication. Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Overall, if she could have eaten something along with the grass; then we'd be safes to have her checked at this stage. Otherwise, if that is less likely, we can try the above to soothe her stomach and see if we can settle her. If she does, we are happy and can consider future treatment with joint supplements (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, Duralactin, omega 3+6 fish oil, etc) to see if we can help her mobility. But if she doesn't settle in the next few hours with the above, we'd want to consider a check up to just make sure she hasn't eaten something we don't know about and to get her onto injectable anti-nausea medication to halt her vomiting and get her back to feeling like herself.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, many thanks for your detailed response. I think I'll monitor over the next few hours. In terms of issues with her joints, she is normally absolutely fine and was in very sprightly form this morning, that's why I find it odd with the lack of balance....I know it sounds bad but it's like she's drunk when she tries to stand . She has calmed down a bit now so I will see how she goes. Thanks again.
Jason