Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate a bag of jelly babies last night and has been sick 13 times today and is

My dog ate a bag of jelly babies last night and has been sick 13 times today and is still being sick. He's off his food which never happens and is less sociable and just seems to be sitting around on his own. Is there anything I can do to help him and is it dangerous?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.
Hello Ellie,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. What breed is your dog? Roughly how much does he weigh { In pounds } ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr,
He is a ***** ***** Terrior and is around 14/15 pounds.
Thanks,
Ellie
Hello again Ellie, Sorry to hear your ***** ***** is a little unwell however I have worked out an answer for you below ... There is nothing toxic to dogs as such in jelly babies, but dogs sometimes have quite weak stomachs and they can often get a good doing bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea if they suddenly eat any rich unaccustomed food stuff in any quantity. This would be the most likely scenario in your dog's case, and while he may be a bit sorry for himself at present this is rarely a very serious sort of situation in my experience. This sort of thing is always a gamble of course but there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners try before getting a vet involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases. Here are some examples.1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success { I know you can get this at Boots in the UK } . Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.3. Live yogurt given orally added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. a tablespoon twice a day would be fine for a smaller dog like your Jack.Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Ellie, Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, *****