Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Lethargic,Was sick but that has stopped, Loose stools that

Lethargic,Was sick but that has stopped, Loose stools that are coloured mustard, Not eating, not drinking. Sleeping a lot.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Ozzie has been sick - how long has it been since he ate or drank anything that he didn't throw up? When you say Ozzie "was sick" - do you mean that he was vomiting? Not eating or drinking and sleeping a lot are very vague signs, meaning that they can be caused by a wide array of different diseases. Since you're also seeing diarrhea, I'd consider that he may have a GI upset - which can be due to dietary changes or indiscretions, viruses, parasites, or other internal organ dysfunction. In some of these cases, the pets will get better on their own, while others can be potentially life threatening. If it's been more than 24 hours since Ozzie was able to keep anything down or since he last ate or drank on his own, I would definitely suggest that you have him examined by your veterinarian. There are a lot of potential problems that could cause the signs that you are seeing. Since some of them are potentially serious, it's best for him to be examined in person to be diagnosed and treated appropriately.Diarrhea can be caused by a wide variety of issues ranging from dietary changes or indiscretions, infectious agents (viral or bacterial), parasitic diseases, and internal organ disease like kidney failure, liver disease, or diabetes. In general, if a pet is feeling fine and eating well but having diarrhea, may vets would suggest a bland diet of three parts boiled white rice mixed with one part boiled chicken breast. This is an easily digestible bland diet to help firm up the stools. A probiotic product like Purina’s FortiFlora can also help - this is available through your vet or online. If the pet is acting ill in addition to the diarrhea, such as having vomiting, lethargy, or other signs of illness, then it’s a good idea to call your veterinarian for guidance. Many dogs with minor GI upsets will recover on their own, however some will require diagnostics and treatments at the vet. Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.