How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask nekovet Your Own Question
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20548
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Question Here...
nekovet is online now

My dog (collie) has eaten a teacake bun with fruit in it. He

Resolved Question:

My dog (collie) has eaten a teacake bun with fruit in it. He still seems OK. Should I be worried?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Any raisins or grapes in this? Or just currents?How long ago did Ollie eat this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it it is a mixture; but no fresh grapes. Product description is here: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=257728984. He only ate one.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,How long ago did he eat this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1-2 hours
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I have not heard back on the time frame for Ollie eating this but since this is a serious situation I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.Now these unfortunately contain raisins (3% per bun) and this means we need to be proactive and work quickly here. Raisins are dangerous for dogs, as they can cause kidney damage and failure. And as the actual toxin has not been isolated and appears to vary between raisins, we cannot predict if this one bun will cause him harm or not. Therefore, if it has been 2 hour, we'd want to induce vomiting now. To do so at home, you can use plain soda crystals. You just want to take a small handful, mix it with water to make a paste, roll that into a ball, and put this right in the back of the throat for him to swallow. This usually will trigger vomiting.. If it doesn't or you do not have soda crystals on hand, then you can have him seen urgently by your local ER vet so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues. As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here. Finally, since this toxin does target the kidneys, we will need to monitor his thirst and urination. If these increase over the next week, then we'd be concerned there has been damage. Therefore, with that being a risk, you may even want to consider having him into his vet's for IV fluids to flush this out just now +/- monitoring his blood or urine to make sure there is no hint of kidney damage. Overall, while raisins are safe for us, they are very dangerous for our dogs. So, if Ollie had even one, we need to tread with care and take the above approach to limit any risk for him here. All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I am glad you have gotten my reply there. I wish you both the best in this serious situation.Take care,Dr. B.
nekovet and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you