nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Over the last 2 days my dog has been passing a lot of

Hello. Over the last 2 days my dog has been passing a lot of wind and loose stools. He was that uncomfortable that he woke us up and allowed my partner to massage his stomach during the night. He is normally a healthy 12 year old dog. He is taking diet and fluids.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What does the diarrhea look like?Has Zac had any blood in his stools?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very concerned that something is seriously wrong. He is however, still wanting to go for walks.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I cannot see your answers to my above questions, but I do want to leave my thoughts on what you have told me about Zac.Now as I am sure you can appreciate, diarrhea and gas are often linked to the same lower GI issue. Often the two arise when there is a disturbance in the normal gut bacterial populations. This can be triggered by ongoing GI infections (bacterial, viral, protozoal, parasitic, etc) but also dietary indiscretions. In this situation, there are some steps we can take at home to try to reduce these signs for Zac. To start, you can put him on an light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset, diarrhea, and thus gas. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Otherwise, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise and especially since Zac has such wind, we could alternatively use a kaolin/probiotic combination product. Examples of this are Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber. All are available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. All of these will slow diarrhea butthose last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these would be our best option to try to soothe his gut. Finally, just as a measure to reduce wind for him further, I would note that you can treat him with a low dose of activated charcoal. This too is OTC at most human chemists (as an anti-gas treatment for people) or can be bought as granules (ie BCK granules) to add to food from most pet stores. Addressing the above should reduce that wind but this can help if he is really tense and uncomfortable with it. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his gut. If we use the above but he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample for infectious agents, and make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable antibiotics +/- anti-protozoal treatments if needed to settle this for him and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou very much for your assistance Dr B.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. :)All the best and a lovely day for you both,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
:-)