Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Just noticed a area on my dogs tail where the hair has fallen

Customer Question

just noticed a area on my dogs tail where the hair has fallen out and it is inflamed with red dots on the exposed area. any ideas what this could be
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow has an area on the top of the base of his tail with hair loss and red dots.This is likely a condition called stud tail, as it happens more frequently in intact male dogs. It is also called supracaudal gland infection or supracaudal gland hyperplasia. It is an inflammation and secondary infection in the oil glands found at the top base of the tail.If no underlying problems (typically flea bite allergy/hypersensitivity) are found, then treatment consists mostly of cleansing the area with degreasing and follicle flushing shampoos like Pyoben and possibly short term steroids and antibiotic therapy. In some cases surgical reduction or removal of the gland is needed, but that is very, very uncommon.Please let me know if you have any further questions.