Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog has diarrhea with mucus

dog has diarrhea with mucus
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Is there any blood in the stool?Does it seem like she cannot hold it sometimes, has to go frequently or tries to go multiple times when outside?Any vomiting, lack of appetite or lethargy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no blood Yes to question 2 no to question 3
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. It sounds like she has inflammation in her colon (colitis). You typically see the urge incontinence and difficulty defecating and mucus in the stool with diarrhea from the colitis. Dietary problems are the most common causes. This can include a change in diet, new treats, human food, getting into the trash, picking something up off the ground, etc. Intestinal parasites, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), stress, masses in the colon and liver and pancreatic problems (usually vomiting and/or inappetant as well) can also cause colitis. Often there is a small amount of blood in the stool as well, but there doesn't have to be. Increasing fiber in the diet (teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin) can help with this. It would also be a good idea to have your vet at least check a stool sample for parasites and put her on metronidazole to get this under control faster. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.