Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a very old cat 19.5, who is developing hard stools

Customer Question

We have a very old cat 19.5, who is developing hard stools despite lactulose and laxatives, and with no identifiable (yet) kidney problems. he was given cisapride for a few weeks too but we found by accident, when a piece was dropped on the floor that a tiny piece of licorice allsorts, mostly coconut, helped him pass stools and he was much happier and full of beans the next day, and for a few days following. Is this safe to give him from time to time, a piece smaller than a cat treat.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Well, licorice does have the potential to cause muscle damage and changes in hormones in cats. It generally isn't recommended. Nothing else in there is toxic. It may cause some loose stools, but I think that is the point here. A pancreatitis or development of diabetes are both possible (due to high sugar content). I will say that if he was my patient, I would be okay with it given he is 19.5 years old, and it seems to help. I would just limit it because of the potential issues. If it is between that or choosing euthanasia, I would go with the softer stools. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for that. We are limiting it to twice a week because it seems to help him for a few days, which seems amazing for such a tiny amount.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Initially I wasn't too concerned but remembered something about licorice and did some quick research. Thanks for the question. I know I won't forget that one again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well maybe it will help someone else one day with the same problem and give their cat a bit of comfort in their old age.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Definitely. Never thought about using licorice.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
He would most likely have to eat a lot of licorice to cause major problems anyway.