Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 11 yr old staffy started being sick about 3 months ago..Vet

Customer Question

my 11 yr old staffy started being sick about 3 months ago..Vet treated it with vitamins and diet food. He lost weight and was very sad. Since then it has been noticed he has a mast cell tumour, which was tested as malignant. Vet said it could cause the stomach upset. Since then we have had constant toilets (of both kind) in the house, night and day. He cant hold it at all. At first he eas on steroids for the mast cell, which made him pee everywhere, then the no 2's started, so i took him off the tablets. At first it was better, but now its just as bad. Every time he is left he messes. When we are there we hear him wining and let him out, but he only just makes it even then. Also, when he goes for no 2 he goes many many times, but nothing comes out. He almost falls over with the effort. He also seems to be in pain. He cant settle, fidgets all the time and yelps when you try to lift him. Also the other day we had mistery blood spots in the house and then his poohs turned black for a few days. Help! i am at a loss
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Elvis's condition. These problems are telling you that this cancer may have spread to other organs affecting his urinary tract and bowels. It is very important now for your sweet Elvis that you contact an Oncologist to determine how bad this cancer is and what treatment will help your guy. If you are only giving steroids , this is not enough to battle this cancer that is extremely invasive and fast spreading. Your vet does not have the tools or expertise to battle this terrible cancer. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought as much. The vets have given me everything from antacid tablets and antibiotics. Not once was i taken seriously, even when he started bleeding, nothing was suggested of further investigation. I understand if it is cancer that has spread, it is not curable, but realistically, how long does he have in your opinion? I dont want him to suffer anymore
YOu will not know how long your sweet Elvis has until further testing is done. I say this because there are stages of cancer and depending on the stage and treatment, this is when the Oncologist will know how Elvis is doing. I fear, with these signs, that this cancer MAY be extensive, I am sorry to say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.. I have just made a further appointment with my vet, but asked for a new one this time. Vet number 3. I wont leave until they do tests!
Good for you...sometimes, even with us, you have to be your sweet Elvis's advocate. Please let me know, if you have time, how Elvis is doing....Thanks!!