Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

There,I have a 4 year old English Bulldog girl that

Hi there,I have a 4 year old English Bulldog girl that could be 7 weeks pregnant. This was a planned mating. We didn't think she had taken as she wasn't exhibiting any signs, so saved her the stress of travelling to the vets for an ultrasound. However she has put on a slight amount of weight this last couple of weeks, so we asked a mobile scanner to come and scan her. They think she has 2 small pups, but couldn't detect heartbeats. whilst we await a vet appointment, could this be true st this stage or could it be something more sinister? Ie bladder/kidney stones etc?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about whether Wilma is pregnant or not. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Did a veterinarian do the mobile scan? It should be easy to see puppies in a dog that is 7 weeks pregnant, and you should not confuse a puppy with a bladder stone, if you are experienced at ultrasound. You need a bit of experience and the right probe to get heartbeats. A 7 weeks fetus would be a couple of inches long, much bigger than a bladder stone would be. I would either take an Xray to confirm she is pregnant, and to tell how many puppies there are, or have ultrasound by an experienced veterinarian since it is not certain if she is pregnant or not. It is always a good idea for her to have a thorough physical exam before she has the puppies, so a trip to her vet would be worth it. Has she had puppies before, or is this her first time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, no it was a local company that did the ultrasound, not a veterinarian as we didn't want her to travel if it could be avoided. We have a vet appointment tomorrow to make sure. This will be Wilma's second litter, she had a singleton puppy last year.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope she is pregnant. If the scan was not done by a veterinarian, I would not be too worried about what was seen or not seen. If she is pregnant, a veterinarian who does ultrasound should be able to tell you for sure. It is worth it to see your vet, so she can be checked over as well. Let me know what other questions I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Kindly consider rating my answer, so the website knows I assisted you, and please let me know if I can answer anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating and let me know what you learn.